Friday, January 17, 2014

What a difference a day can make

Many times I spill my frustrations right here in this blog.  I share the daily struggles and stresses AND joys that I experience in being Lillian's Mom.  Of course, there is nothing like LIFE to give you renewed perspective each day.  And while the things I share are frustrating and build up and wear on me, please oh please never mistake those feelings for the grattitude and joy I have in this job as well
. A young mother, a high school senior in my daughter's class buried her 18 month old son this past week.  He had special needs and Bethany had recently shared a video of him laughing and moving his legs. Something his parents were told he wouldn't be able to do.  Tears streamed down my face yesterday as I listened to the music playing she posted on facebook of his memorial video.  I don't know why he died, if he got sick or what...but it is a stark reminder that tomorrow is never promised to us.

It takes me back to those NICU days...I counted at least five babies in the six weeks she was there that didn't make it out of the very unit we all shared.

So today, I find myself grateful to have:
a pharmacy to fight with about medications and preauth letters...
an insurance company to cover the costs of a urologist
and a doctor to follow up on tests even if I have to call 100 times.
Formula and feeding bags to prepare each day
 and most definitely a skinny little bottom that doesn't fit in her britches

She lives.  Period.


1 comment: