Friday, January 26, 2018

Dental and growth updates and a bit extra...

First off, shortly after Thanksgiving, Ezekiel got sick and just a few days later Lillian got sick with something that seemed entirely different, so for about a week I had two pretty sick kiddos, very little sleep, he had croup and in between his bathroom steam treatments I was having to give Lillian additional breathing treatments.  Her asthma flared and it took steroids for him and two solid weeks for both of them to be completely well.  

In January, Lillian had her quarterly dental appointment.  She did very well, she is ALWAYS highly anxious, but with some calming essential oils and a hand held diffuser ( a very nifty Christmas gift) she went through it like a champ.  Anxiety, but infinitely better than when we started.  That was the good news.  The bad news...she has a broken tooth.  Can I just say how upsetting and discouraging that piece of news was.  The end process that will eventually take place is NOT something I look forward to.  The dentist is ok with watching it for the next couple of months, unless there is an issue, and going from there.  Lillian had taken a pretty hard fall a week or so before and took a header, I think she broke it in the fall.  Her glasses took a pretty bad hit so I believe that is what occurred.   I have been vigilant about brushing and flossing twice day and she also has a cavity in the tooth above the broken tooth.  Again, something we are keeping an eye on for the time.

Thursday Lillian had her 11 year check up with her pediatrician and I tell you I almost fell into tears when she got on the scale.  She had gained three, THREE more pounds since November.  AND, she grew an inch and a half taller.  It's been about 9 months of real food going in her tube feedings and she has gained at least 6 pounds.  It is just overwhelming how much she has grown physically  n more ways that one.  I find myself wanting to tell random people how much weight she's gained and they look at me like I'm nuts.   HA!  (which I guess is partly true)  I don't even know if they use the terminology failure to thrive with children after they are out of the infant/toddler stage, but it is delightful to see my daughter THRIVING.  She actually has a BMI now.  That's big stuff to this Momma.  I almost couldn't focus on anything else after I saw him push the scale over the 50 pound mark....52 pounds.  Thank you Lord for the wisdom given to me to press forward and the therapist who made the suggestion and the prayers and gift of a friend who made blending possible!!  Did I mention I was excited about her weight??  😂 Rambling on a bit, no?  Moving on....

So, to end my day today I had the privilege of blessing a family with a meal whose daughter has been very ill and has struggled her entire life.  There is nothing like connecting to another Mom who has and is walking through a similar journey.  It is a deep connection for me.  I feel like my heart is tied to them.  The loneliness, the envelops me from time to time, passes in those brief moments of connection.  The Lord is so good and He sends me the best.  this journey with Lillian has and continues to teach me so much about loving and reaching out to others.  

I shared this picture on Instagram and I still can't get over how grown up she is looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment