Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Saturday Shenanigans?

 Not good ones, either.  My son played a basketball game this past Saturday and my mom came up to watch.  The game went as planned and my mom took us out to lunch. We had just finished up eating lunch and Lillian sneezed.  About 20 seconds later I saw blood on her lip and thought she bit her lip.  Turned out to be a gushing nosebleed.  She's never had a nosebleed before. So, I perform basic first aid, get ice from the waitress (after I pulled what was left out of my cup) and pinch.  Blood is just soaking through to my finger.  Mom starts timing and this thing is not stopping.  After at least 15 minutes, I reach out to our dr who instructs me to do what I'm already doing and proceed to the ER in 10 minutes if it has not stopped.  The bleeding started to slow but was still coming.  So, after another 15 minutes, it finally stopped.  Mom was looking stressed; I was feeling stressed.  I prayed over her multiple times for the bleeding to stop because that's what I do.  Things like this, for Lillian, are just not ordinary things.  I was internally shaky and nauseous afterward but extremely grateful it stopped.  Mom hung out for a couple hours which was a blessing.   I contacted her Hematologist that day and let her know what happened and if this type of bleeding would be considered normal...I mean, I don't know these things.  She directed to take her to the ER if there was ever a bleed lasting longer than thirty minutes (in the future).  We also got the results from her genetic blood test about Von Willebrand disease, and it is negative. We are still planning a repeat platelet function study test in the next 4 weeks to see if that test comes back normal this time. This girl keeps her mom on her toes for sure.  

Just another little peak into the life we walk.  

3 comments:

  1. My goodness that would be scary! My husband and youngest (adult) daughter get nose bleeds fairly often but they only last 5 minutes before stopping. Now you can add 'Excessive Nosebleeds' to your resume. I'm grateful Lillian's test for Von Willebrand disease came out negative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always lots and lots of love y'all's way as well as prayers. Sending virtual hugs as well till I can stop by with the real ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reach out and touch the hem of His garment.

    ReplyDelete