Monday, January 30, 2012

"the fitted foot"

Lillian had her appointment with the fitted foot clinic here in our little town (i'm amazed, at times, by what is in this town and what isn't)  First off, I found out she's in shoes that are too small.  She approved of the type of shoes (which I just got at target for 5 bucks).   just not the size of them.  I have to tell you, I was pretty shocked.  I also have to say, I have a massive bad sinus infection and it was hard to talk and focus on what was going on. Bottom line, she needs some orthotics to help with her flat, rocker bottom feet.  Her ankles are turning in a bit and she's tight in her hips in one direction.  I am waiting to hear back from them about what are insurance will cover.  We go from there.
  She also resumed her therapy today.  I dropped her off and was back home a mile away to rest my throbbing head.  When I went back to get her, these two women came in with Bentley, the St. Bernard therapy dog.  He was pretty and GIGANTIC.  Seeing as Lillian is terrified of just about every critter that is bigger than our little dog, I quickly let the staff know that she would totally wig out if they took the dog anywhere near her.  A while back a had a discussion with another SN mother and she had asked me if Lillian had any fears.  At the time, I couldn't think of any, but I'd have to say she is pretty terrified of animals.  I thought this was something she would outgrow, but it doesn't seem to be the case.  Which honestly, I'm not too concerned about.  I mean, really, with all that she has going on...fear of animals is not on my top ten concerns list. So, they take this bohemeth of a dog back and this lady sitting across from me begins to question me about Lillian's fear of the dog.  She went on, in great detail, of sharing with me how I could make Lillian overcome this fear.  I should find someone with a puppy and set a time and place and subject Lillian to the animal on a regular basis .  That way she could see the dog grow progressively.  Hello.  Thanks for your input total complete stranger who knows nothing about my child or her life or the life that we juggle with her.  I really don't care that she's afraid of animals and if she decides to become a vet someday I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.      WOW, snarky much?  Of course, before I have a moment even to clear my pounding stuffy head, the therapist comes out with Lillian and we head on home.  I'm sure she meant well. It didn't bother me at the time, but it kinda rubs me wrong right now.  Get ready for some more transparency, friends.  This may be the first time I've ever REALLY felt this way about other people. Typically, I don't mind sharing Lillian's life and her story with strangers.  I don't care if people are staring at us or wondering about her.  I don't care when people find out her real age and get that look they get that tells me they know something is different.  Today, this woman hadn't even seen Lillian.  And what possesses folks just to blurt out their "fixes" to what they perceive as a "terrible" problem for you??  In this walk, I have learned that there are things that I just have to be OK with.  The world is not coming to an end if she doesn't like animals. I am not a perfect person and here's a good example of my ugly, I guess you'd say.

PS- if you read "Perspective" you'll understand this.  I bought some chux.  No more meltdowns over wet beds.  :)  Girl's gotta do what a girls' gotta do not to have unreasonable breakdowns!

1 comment:

  1. Ei ei ei! Why do people insist they know about our children, special needs or otherwise? I bet they have a whole lot in their own lives that could use some fixin!

    ReplyDelete