Saturday, December 17, 2011

Nostalgia

WOW!!  What a day....let me back up by saying I have gotten very poor sleep the last two nights, I could go into detail, but suffice to say I've not slept well.  I had a lunch date with a long time friend today and my Mom graciously kept 4 of the 5 girls (oldest at a friends) so that I could have lunch with my friend.  We sat and caught up for roughly 2 1/2 hours.  It was wonderful.  We get to see each other so rarely and it was great just to catch up.  I knew she had a Christmas surprise for me, but was overwhelmed to discover her church/church's daycare had put our family on their Christmas tree and she filled up the back of my van with gifts.  There really are no words to describe how blessed we are to receive such a generous gift.  It is the true feeling of humility and grace.  NOW, my girls will have more than three packages under the tree this year.(  I know Christmas is not about gifts...and they know that...but it is still difficult to not be able to give them as much as I would like to.  )  We have been very blessed to be on the receiving end of being supported for Christmas ever since Lillian entered our lives and there are really no words to describe the grattitude I have.  So, we had a nice lunch and a fun surprise, a few tears and I headed back to get my kids.  I enter my Mom's house, to find Lillian sprawled out on a blanket in front of the tv.  I almost wept.  Before my parent's divorced, anytime the kids stayed with them we would always find them laid out like that.  Just the familiarity of the scene tugged my heart strings.  Added bonus, to see Lillian in that way was extra cool.  After leaving Mom's, we headed to my SIL's house because she had a little Christmas gift for the girls and our family.  We got there and each girl got a small popcorn box full of microwave popcorn, a box of candy, a night shirt, and hot chocolate packages.  She then presented me with a big bowl of popcorn packs, cocoa, jars and dishes of Matt's all time favorite homemade goodies she makes..a huge pumpkin roll, old fashioned potato candy, fudge, apple butter, AND a DVD collection of old Christmas movies and cartoons.  Today felt like I'd been jolted back in time to when things were not quite so complicated...you know what I mean?    I am physically tired today, but emotionally filled with so much love and comfort.  Great great day. Just seeing all those people in one days time would have been enough!

Lillian's surgery is scheduled for 2:00, Tuesday afternoon.  We'll be there at 12:30.  Thank you for continued prayer!

No comments:

Post a Comment