Monday, November 16, 2015

25 Days of Lillian ( day 16) A tribute

You might find it strange that I would choose to write a tribute to my mother in law in 25 Days of Lillian.  However, once you read, you will understand how it is very fitting for her blog.

I have been with my husband for 23 years.  We are coming up on 21 years of marriage.  Thursday evening, we lost his mother.  Loving, devoted wife to Matt's dad for over 50 years until his death and then married again a man she called her best friend. He passed away a little less than two years ago.  She was the mother of six children, Three boys, three girls.  Grandmother to many, many more children.  Ruth and I had an interesting relationship.  I believe she loved me.  I certainly loved her. She had very strong opinions and she was never afraid of telling you what she thought. Which, to be honest was sometimes offensive to me.  lol.  I think everyone in the family could attest to that. For example, about 6-8 months ago as she was trying to regain her strength, she asked me to trade her bodies.  I said I would if I could, but she then she added, my body but less fat...  HA!!  We had a good laugh about it.  That was her.   We didn't always see eye to eye and I'm pretty sure she worried that I might never be able to raise the brood we were quickly adding to our quiver.

  We had our struggles.  We even had some periods of estrangement.  These last couple years had found me reclaiming my relationship with her.  She told me on multiple occasions how proud she was of Matt and me and also how sorry she was for past problems.

  The one area we didn't always agree, but definitely were able to share was our faith.  I had the privelege of holding her hands while bowed at her feet crying out to God for healing, whether it was physical or emotional.  She and I could always meet at the feet of the Father.

Upon her death, it had only been made known to three of us, that she wanted to be creamated.  Her sole purpse?  To offer her burial plot to us in case we would need it for Lillian.  The fullness of that decision is just overwhelming me.  I can't even put it into words.  So, in the event that my sweet angel is called home, she will rest beside her papaw and mamaw. . I tell you, Friday night while I lay crying in bed, her voice..her once strong clear voice whispered in my ear, don't cry for me...don't cry for me.  Just like in the same way I hear from the Lord...I heard her.

While I can rejoice that she is no longer suffering physical pain and she is reunited with Alec, and dancing and praising at the feet of Jesus, my heart is grieving what seems like a life gone too soon.

To my husband, my grieving children, brothers and sisters and all extended family gifted to me these last 23 years, I love you all, thank you for loving me into the family all this time. Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment