Monday, November 9, 2015

25 Days of Lillian (day 9) Good Morning Friends

Day nine!  Only16 more days unitl this little girl turns 9...hard to believe.  I really, really, really wanted to have a birthday party for her this year and invite a few "friends". However, being in the midst of a move is not ideal for partying. My baby doesn't really have "friends".  She has siblings that she adores, but friends are another story.  Younger kids don't "get" her and kids her age, her peers, for 99% of them they pretty much ignore her.

It nearly brings me to tears when I see a child her age actually try to engage with her.  We have one family friend, Karly, that actually plays with Lillian.  She pays attention to her...she engages with her and it is absolutely overwhelming for me to watch.  One of my nephews also takes a bit of a shine to Lillian and tries to play with her from time to time as well.  I try to tell their Mom's how special they are because their hearts see something that other kids don't.  That's how we are though, right, all different with differing gifts. For me...as a mom, they are not seeing a disabled, delayed little girl, they just see a friend. Oh geez...how did this turn into a crying post...??? sheesh...

Example: We have a neighbor girl that is five or six.  She wants to come over every time we are outside.  When she does come over, she plays with Lillian a little, but soon is just wanting to hang with the older girls.  Lillian just doesn't have the stamina to keep up with playing physical games very long.  Then, before I know it, Lillian is sitting alone, watching the little girl play around our yard.  It's hard to describe... yes, even though Lillian is delayed, she's not completely on the level of younger children, just as she's not on the complete level of her peers. She recognizes that younger kids are younger than her.

It's kind of one of those things that break my heart, but really it's not something I focus on because it's just not that important in the grand scheme of things.  Just one of those "normalcies" that causes me a slight twinge of pain occasionally.

Anyhoo, perhaps we will party just to party when warmer weather arrives and try out a "friend" party and see how it goes.

So, since no party will happen and we will likely be celebrating together as a family, how about a card shower for Lillian?  She loves to get mail and you'd be surprised how much she loves to carry around magazines and cards and things?   If you'd like to send her a card, please email me and I'll send you our address qltlvr5@comcast.net.  Note; If you are a crazyinternetstalkergoingtotrackusdownwherewelive kinda person...please don't ask.  HA!

I leave you with a morning selfie...

2 comments:

  1. Made me cry too! She's so beautiful!! Can't believe she's going to be 9!!#

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made me cry too! She's so beautiful!! Can't believe she's going to be 9!!#

    ReplyDelete